10 quotes by Michael Caine that will inspire every aspiring actor
Sir Michael Caine, a gem of an actor whose life and works inspire millions of aspiring actors around the whole world.
Maurice Joseph Micklewhite, Jr., best known as Michael Caine, is regarded as one of the greatest screen actors in today’s era. Known for his charming personality, versatility and Cockney accent, Caine made his acting debut in the 1956 film ‘A Hill in Korea’. Since then, he has appeared in over 130 films in a career spanning over 6 decades and established himself as an iconic figure in cinema. Here, we have gathered some of his most amazing quotes that will motivate everyone who wants to take up acting as their profession.
- “The difference between a movie star and a movie actor is this – a movie star will say, “How can I change the script to suit me?” And a movie actor will say, “How can I change me to suit the script?”
- “My most useful acting tip came from my pal John Wayne. Talk low, talk slow and don’t say too much.”
- “I never bring a role home with me. The moment they say, ‘It’s a wrap’, it’s gone completely. I’m a totally ruthless professional, and life is my family, not my work.”
- “Every time you get a movie, you get a medical. So you know, you’re alright for a couple of weeks.”
- “I have always loved reprehensible people because they are so much more interesting to play on screen.”
- “To be a movie star, you have to carry a movie. And to carry a movie where you play the title role is the supreme example.”
- “Movie acting is about covering the machinery. Stage acting is about exposing the machinery. In cinema, you should think that the actor is playing himself, if he is that good. It looks very easy. It should. But it’s not. I assure you.”
- “I don’t worry about the last shot or the next shot. I concentrate. Every shot gets a clean slate. And when a shot is over, I wipe it out absolutely. Tell a joke or something. If you worry about how you looked, how well you did, you’ll go insane.”
- “My view of actors is that basically they are all harmless lunatics who’d be on the psychiatrist’s couch, except that we get this sort of catharsis every six months and so, we go and be absolutely someone else.”
- “I will always be there because I am a skilled professional actor. Whether or not I have any talent is beside the point.”
Michael Caine is an actor par excellence. He has received several prestigious awards including two Academy Awards, one BAFTA Award and three Golden Globe Awards.