5 best places to visit in Meghalaya
Located in the North-East India, Meghalaya is blessed with some amazing places that will leave you mesmerized.
Meghalaya literally means “abode of cloud” and once you visit this state, you’ll realize the true significance of its name. With the picturesque landscapes, charming hills, lush green valleys, enchanting waterfalls, dense forests and calm ambience, Meghalaya will literally make you feel lost amidst the beauty of nature. Here, let’s take a look at five most beautiful places in Meghalaya that you should visit at least once in your lifetime.
- Cherrapunji: One of world’s wettest places, Cherrapunji attracts tourists mostly for its mystical rainfall. With the beautiful green surroundings, charming waterfalls and calm ambience, this place will definitely fill your inner soul with a lot of peace. The Dain-Thlen, Nohkalikai and Kynrem are some of the most popular waterfalls in this place. Living Root Bridges, Mawsmai Cave, Thangkharang Park, Eco Park and Garden of Caves are some of the must visit sites in Cherrapunji.
- Shillong: If you’re bored with the chaotic nature of city life, then Shillong might be an ideal destination for you. This place will provide you the much needed relaxation with its scenic beauty, majestic hills, enthralling waterfalls, pleasant climate, trekking trails, mouth-watering local dishes and a lot more. Rightly called as the “Scotland of the East”, Shillong is home to some amazing sites such as Shillong Peak, Lady Hydari Park, Ward’s Lakeand Elephant Falls etc.
- Mawlynnong Village: Located in the East Khasi Hills, Mawlynnong is regarded as the cleanest village in Asia. Also known as “God’s own Garden”, this village attracts tourists with its clean environment, scenic beauty, fascinating waterfalls, root bridges and most importantly, the warm behaviour of its local residents. Nohkalikai Falls, Mawsmai Cave, Sacred Forest and Mawkdok Valley View Point are some of the major attractions of this village. Also, stay at least a night in any of the bamboo guest houses and enjoy the spectacular view of the surroundings.
- Balpakram National Park: Known for its rich bio diversity, Balpakram National Park is also called as the “Land of Spirits”. It’s located in the Garo Hills and along with the charming natural beauty; this place also offers you its birds, wildlife, flora and fauna. Once you visit this park, you will get to spot several kinds of animals such as Red Panda, Elephant, Tiger, Wild Water Buffaloesand Leopards etc.
- Laitlum Canyon: One of the less explored places in Meghalaya, Laitlum Canyon will literally make you fall in love with its magnificent view of the surroundings. With the magical landscapes, cascading streams, mesmerizing mist, calm ambience and trekking trails, this place is no less than a paradise for its visitors.
Also, Mawsynram, Tura, Nongpoh, Williamnagar, Dawki and Baghmara are some of the most beautiful places to visit in Meghalaya.