Foods that may help people with autoimmune disease
If you are suffering from autoimmune disease, it’s high time to take a closer look at your diet.
A health condition in which your immune system starts attacking the cells, tissues and organs, autoimmune disease is known as one of the most common and painful diseases in the world. It happens mostly to women and can affect any part of the body. While the exact reason behind this condition is still unknown, several factors such as virus, bacteria, drugs, chemicals or any other irritant can cause this disease. There are over 100 types of autoimmune disease and the symptoms include Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Psoriasis, Lupus, Thyroid disorders etc. While it’s important to take proper medications while suffering from this, there are also certain foods that may help you get rid of autoimmune disease.
- Dark leafy greens: Dark leafy greens are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which boost the build-up of enzymes and protect your body from damage, toxins and inflammation. Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage etc. are rich in sulfur and glutathione (an antioxidant) that are beneficial to reduce chronic inflammation and prevent autoimmune disease. So, consume an adequate amount of leafy green vegetables on a regular basis and see the result.
- Apples: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” is not really a myth, especially when it comes to autoimmune disease. Apples are packed with quercetin (a powerful flavonoid) which reduces allergic reactions and protects your body from inflammation, both of which result in treating autoimmune disease.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a rich source of curcumin which is known as an effective medicine to treat many autoimmune disease symptoms such as rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, lupus etc. For best result, mix a little amount of black pepper with turmeric and consume it daily.
- Foods that contain probiotics: Sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, kombucha, pickled ginger, kefir etc. are naturally loaded with probiotics that maintain the balance of gut microbiome in your body and boost the barrier functions of intestine, both of which protect your body from autoimmune disease.
- Avocados: The vitamin B and fatty acids present in avocados prevent several symptoms of autoimmune disease by maintaining a healthy immunity and regulating the hormonal balance in your body.
- Green tea: Green tea is famous for its healthy components which improve your overall health. Along with all the other ingredients, it also contains epigallocatechin-3-gallate which reduces several symptoms of autoimmune disease.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is loaded with proteins and antioxidants that reduce inflammation and help your body to prevent autoimmune disease. For best result, go for extra-virgin olive oil.
Berries, Salmon, Halibut, Bok Choy, Artichoke, Mushrooms and Honey are also some of the foods that you should include in your diet to fight against autoimmune disease.