Foods that may help people with calcium deficiency
Suffering from calcium deficiency? A proper diet might help you.
Calcium plays a vital role in keeping your bones and teeth healthy. Also, it helps your heart, muscles and nerves to work properly. When your calcium level becomes low, all the bodily functions get disrupted and this condition (known as calcium deficiency) leads you to several health issues. So, let’s take a look at some of the calcium-rich foods that might help you to overcome this condition.
- Dark, leafy greens: Some dark, leafy greens such as kale, collard greens, broccoli, watercress, arugula etc. are high in calcium and several other healthy minerals and vitamins. So, consume a lot of leafy greens on a regular basis and see the result.
- Almonds: Almonds contain the highest amount of calcium among all the nuts available in the market. Also, they are rich source of several other minerals such as manganese, magnesium etc. and vitamin E which decrease your risk of developing many health diseases.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is loaded with calcium and a study has found that one cup of low-fat yogurt provides almost 45% of your daily calcium requirements.
- Seeds: Seeds, especially sesame, celery, poppy and chia seeds are excellent source of calcium. One tablespoon of poppy seeds and sesame seeds provide 13% and 9% of your daily calcium needs respectively.
- Salmon: This tasty seafoods are loaded with calcium and several other healthy components such as protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
- Milk: Milk is undoubtedly a powerhouse of nutrients which improve your health in several ways. It’s a rich source of calcium and one cup of cow milk provides 30% of your daily calcium needs. Several studies have found that people who consume milk on a daily basis, are at a lower risk of developing calcium deficiency symptoms.
- Beans and lentils: Certain beans and lentils are loaded with calcium and several other nutrients such as fiber, protein, zinc, iron, magnesium, potassium, folate etc. A regular consumption of beans and lentils protect you from several symptoms of calcium deficiency.
- Cheese: Just like many other dairy products, cheese is also an incredible source of calcium and several other healthy nutrients. For best result, go for mozzarella, parmesan and cottage cheese.
- Soy foods: Soy foods like tofu, natto and tempeh are loaded with calcium. 100 grams of tofu provides your body almost 350 mg calcium.
- Fruits: Some fruits such as raw figs, blackberries, raspberries and blackcurrants are rich in calcium. So, include a lot of these fruits in your regular diet and see the result.
Also, certain grains, seaweed, tuna and fortified foods are some of the foods that may help people with calcium deficiency.