How Safe Are Plug-in Mosquito Repellants
A comprehensive analysis of plug-in mosquito repellants. How effective are they in counterattacking parasites and how they affect your health.
With time, we have recognized plug-in mosquito repellants as one of the most reliable devices at keeping these parasites away. But you must have questioned yourself at least once if these dissolved chemicals are toxic for you too?
Though the ratio of people being afflicted by these is trivial, if the repellant is not applied correctly, they can cause respiratory problems in infants and sensitivities in adults.
There are quite a few different plug-in devices, and they have their unique technique in combatting with mosquitoes. Here is a complete examination of this topic, everything you should know about plug-in repellants.
Broadly the two most used repellants are ultrasonic and chemical.
The ultrasonic repellant emits high-frequency noise that is inaudible to us but keeps bugs and mosquitoes from invading the sound sphere. This works flawlessly around infants and places where you would not want to load with noxious vapor like your bedroom and kitchen. However, it is known to be just about 57% effective.
Chemical repellants slowly release insecticide vapor contained in the liquid or tablet when exposed to the heat connected in the socket. They usually have natural oil, permethrin, DEETA that kills the mosquitoes and other insects that pose a threat to you inside your house. One warning that you must heed to is, do not use a chemical repellant in an air-conditioned room. This will circulate the toxic air faster, causing you asthma and other breathing hazards.
Hazards of chemical repellant-
Although it is cost-effective and reliable, it is dealing with toxic chemicals. There are a few things you need to keep in mind before using them.
Not to be handled by Pregnant Women-
If the chemicals are in direct contact with your skin, a part of it can get absorbed and reach the fetus through the bloodstream. Pregnancy causes bodies to be additionally sensitive and create allergic withdrawals.
The fumes generated by the repellant can cause asthma and other respiratory issues in your infant. It is not advised to keep the baby in the same room where the plug-in is switched on till the age of two months.
Here are some methods you can conduct if you are dealing with a mosquito problem at home, along with an infant.
- Let the baby sleep in another room while you keep the bedroom free from mosquitoes. Once it’s free from insects, switch it off and then get the baby inside.
- Do not keep the repellant switched on in a sealed room all night.
- Keep your baby covered always. Do not let the skin be exposed to air for long in a closed room.
- Get in the habit of washing your hands thoroughly after handling the repellant.
- If the baby is in the crawling phase, make sure no plug-in repellant is in their reach.