DietHealth

How To Prevent Keto Headaches

Diets high in fat and low in carbohydrates are known as ketogenic diets. By restricting glucose intake, the body is forced into using fat for energy instead of glucose (sugar).

Initially, the ketogenic diet was designed to help individuals with epilepsy who were experiencing seizures. Keto’s capacity to aid in weight loss, on the other hand, has gained attention in the last several years.

Because of the extreme reduction in carbohydrates, there will be some early negative effects when beginning a ketogenic diet programme. Many people report experiencing headaches as a side effect of the diet.

When transitioning to a low-carb diet, it is important to know how to handle the adjustment phase and avoid keto headaches.

When You Start a Keto Diet

Carbohydrate consumption on a ketogenic diet is restricted to 5% to 10% of total daily calories. About 70% to 80% of your daily calories come from fat, with the remaining 10% to 20% coming from protein.

The primary purpose of the keto diet is to induce ketosis in your body. When there aren’t enough carbohydrates to go around, your body goes into ketosis to conserve energy. Ketones are a by-product of the body’s fat-breaking process. So the term “keto” had its start here.

It is possible to suffer unpleasant side effects as your body begins to burn fat. It’s common to hear the phrase “keto flu” to characterise the adverse effects of the diet.

Starting keto can cause headaches, but there are methods to alleviate or even prevent them. Staying hydrated and eating a well-balanced diet can help prevent dehydration and headaches.

Consume Plenty of Fluids

Hydration is essential during the first few days of the keto diet since your body will lose water. Many nutritionists believe that we should drink at least eight to ten glasses of water a day on a normal diet, regardless of whether we’re on a keto diet.

Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium Should Be Increased in Your Diet

Electrolytes including sodium, potassium and magnesium are critical for maintaining a healthy balance in the body. In addition to water, electrolytes must be replaced by meals or a sugar-free electrolyte supplement in order to maintain hydration.

Exercises That Are Too Exhausting Should Be Avoided

A fast burst of energy is provided by glucose and muscle glycogen in a typical diet. A lack of glycogen to power your workout might occur once glycogen reserves are exhausted.

Early on in the diet, a ketogenic diet has been shown to reduce performance by up to 20%. Performance can actually increase when your body adapts to the ketogenic condition.

Intense workouts should be avoided until your body gets used to them, since they might put additional strain on it and result in headaches. Dehydration can be exacerbated by excessive sweating.

Organize Low-Carbohydrate, High-Nutrient Meals

Consider pre-planning your meals on a keto diet in order to keep your body in peak condition. It’s a good idea to use this to keep yourself on track and avoid unpleasant side effects when you begin keto.

Back to top button