Iron Man: 7 fascinating facts about the greatest superhero in MCU
Marvel Cinematic Universe’ most beloved superhero, Iron Man holds some cool facts which most of the fans even don’t know.
Let’s admit it, we all cried at the climax scene of ‘Avengers: Endgame’ where Iron Man sacrifices his life to save the entire world. It’s simply because without him, ‘Avengers’ is as incomplete as a human being without its heart. Based on the fictional character written by Stan Lee, Iron Man aka Tony Stark first came out in the movie ‘Iron Man’ in 2008. A ladies’ man with the coolest and wittiest nature, a billionaire, a genius scientist and a fearless hero; the character is considered as an icon and the major credit for that goes to the brilliant portrayal of Robert Downey, Jr.
- The initial choice for the creators to play Iron Man was Tom Cruise. He turned the role down as he didn’t like the script. Several other superstars like Nicholas Cage, Colin Farrell and Patrick Dampsey were then considered for the role. Finally, they chose Robert Downey Jr. and the rest is history.
- Howard Hughes, a 20th century millionaire was the inspiration for Stan Lee to create this character. According to Lee, the man was one of the most colourful men of his time. And while preparing for the role, RDJ did a lot of research about the person.
- It took years to make Iron Man movies. Long before the 2008 movie, FOX was originally supposed to produce it in the 1990’s. However, they changed their mind and decided to make movies like ‘X-men’ and ‘Fantastic 4′. Then in 2000, New Line Pictures got the opportunity to produce it but later, they backed out from it as New Line executive Bob Shaye thought that the concept of Iron Man makes no sense. Then Marvel Studios decided to make the movie themselves and just after New Line Pictures’ option expired in 2005, they began developing their project.
- The makers had to face a lot of struggles to make the first ‘Iron Man’ movie. In fact, they started the shooting with an incomplete script. RDJ, being a superbly talented actor, improvised most of his lines during the shooting on set.
- In the comics, Jarvis is a person who works as Stark’s family butler. But in the movies, J.A.R.V.I.S is Tony Stark’s Artificial Intelligence system and it stands for “Just A Rather Very Intelligent System”.
- In the movies, the Iron Man suit can lift more than 100 tons. However in reality, the suit weighs only about 25 pounds.
- Iron Man’s death in Avengers: Endgame is considered as the most touching scene in the entire MCU.
It doesn’t matter whether Tony Stark is alive or not, we will always “love him 3000”.