Love lakeside? Here are some gorgeous lakes you must visit in India
Any passionate traveller has plenty of beautiful water bodies, including lakes and rivers, to cherish across India, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari. We have curated for you some of the most beautiful lakes to visit in India.
- Dal Lake: Considered as the lifeline and a glorious jewel of Kashmir valley, Dal lake is one of the most picturesque lakes spread across 26 square kilometres. In the backdrop, you can see the mighty Himalayan mountain range while taking a lavish ride on the ‘Shikara’, the wooden boat. One must spend at least a night staying in a boathouse and feasting on the Kashmiri Wazwan.
- Chandratal Lake: Situated in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh, Chandratal lake is at an altitude of 4300 metres, making it one of the highest altitude lakes in the Indian Himalayan region. The pristine blue water of the lake is mesmerizing, and the night sky from the lakeside is once in a lifetime view!
- Gurudongmar Lake: Situated at an altitude of 17,000 feet, this is one of the highest lakes in the world. It is in the North of the Khangchengyao Range and is surrounded by snow-covered mountains. The pristine blue water lake freezes during the winters months except at one place; people believe this to be a blessing.
- Damdama Lake: Situated in Haryana, Damdama is the biggest lake in Haryana, mainly fed by monsoon water. It is home to over 190 bird species and is an ideal day trip. There are several activities like Kayaking, parasailing, cycling, fishing and hot-air ballooning that add to the charm of this lake!
- Loktal Lake: Also known as the floating lake, Loktal lake is the largest freshwater lake in North East India. It has a collection of floating heterogeneous mass of vegetation and soil resembling miniature islands. Called phumdis, they are seen in several forms freely floating on the lake.
- Hussian Sagar Lake: This lake adds to the beauty of the city of Hyderabad and offers respite from the concrete jungle. The key attractions are the huge statue of Buddha and the boating facility around the lake. One can also walk around the perimeter of the lake to do justice to its beauty!
- Chilika Lake: Situated in Odisha, it is a brackish water lake spread over 1100 square meter. Chilika lake is a heaven for migratory bird species and home to many endangered species of flora and fauna too.
This summer, choose your lake and plan a tranquil lakeside vacation with your favourite people.